Saturday, April 19, 2008
Miracles Do Happen!
I am somewhat embarrassed to admit that I have a four year old who is not potty trained! I have tried everything I can think of. I have purchased the "super cool" Transformer and Star Wars underwear, I have promised any toy at Target, offered "potty treats," tried Cheerios as "tinkle targets," etc. There have even been first-hand demonstrations from the other "boys" in our household. All of this to no avail. Well, last night I had a dinner to go to so the boys were home with a babysitter. Tanner was tired so I asked that he be put to bed before I was to arrive home. Sometime during the night he joined us in bed. This morning when he woke up he said, "look mom," and pulled down his pajamas to reveal the Star Wars underwear he had worn all night without a diaper! I was floored! I asked if the babysitter had put him in the underwear and he said, "no," he had dressed himself. I tried to convince him to sit on the toilet this morning, but again, to no avail. He refused to put a diaper on so I let him continue to wear the underwear. To make a long story short...he finally wet in his underwear....we tried a second pair and he wet that also. At this point I am fed up. I take his underwear off altogether and we go for the "naked" approach. Tanner proceeds to go to the bathroom on the floor. Great! I decided to put him on the potty which he greatly protested. He had just emptied his bladder on my floor, so I was pretty sure there was nothing left. We got him a big drink, but nothing happened. Carter and I went back to working on his homework and Tanner played on the computer. All of a sudden he said, "I have to go potty!" I picked him up and we ran into the bathroom. HE DID IT! Carter and I jumped up and down and did the "potty dance!" Tanner was so excited! He has contiuned to use the potty all afternoon. I am cautiously optimistic! We have yet to tackle the #2 issue on the toilet....but hopefully it will go smoothly as well. I would be the happiest woman in the world if I could rid this house of diapers once and for all!!!!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

I'm praying it sticks this time...wouldn't that be awesome if it clicked and you could toss the diapers for good
ReplyDeleteI hope he masters it! I've been dealing with diapers & pullups for 11+ years and I will be SO glad when we don't have to deal with that crap anymore!
ReplyDeletep.s. Allison is 5 and still wears pullups at night. Some kids are quicker in some areas than others. She might still need a pullup, but she ROCKS on the monkey bars!