Tuesday, April 8, 2008

The Bahamas (aka February in review)

At the end of February, Chris and I were fortunate enough to take a trip to Grand Bahama Island for the FDCC Winter Meeting. We had been planning the trip for quite a while and I was very excited for some warm tropical weather to beat the winter blues. Chris' mom was gracious enough to come stay with the boys so we could attend this conference. When we arrived in Miami, we walked off the plane into the jetway and noticed that it was very dark. We continued into the airport which was also dark. We were quite puzzled and thought maybe the Miami Airport was trying to "conserve" energy. We had a couple of hours before our connection and ventured farther into the airport to find a restaurant to sit down and eat. As we got farther into the airport the lights were on so we didn't think much more about it. As we sat down to eat we noticed people standing around the bar watching the "breaking news" on the t.v. Little did we know we had just landed in the middle of the huge power outage that had hit Florida! Fortunately, all the power had come back on at the airport and we didn't have any problems, but it made for an exciting adventure. We arrived on Grand Bahama without any incident and found everything to be very nice. I was very excited to spend some time next to the pool reading a good book and working on my tan. Alas, I was most disappointed the next morning when a huge cold front moved in and it was windy, raining and barely 60 degrees! This was not quite the "tropical paradise" I had envisioned. It was actually warmer in Las Vegas that day than in the Bahamas. The sun came out the next day, but it was still pretty chilly. I think we managed to get some sun by Friday. The picture above was my view from my lounge chair at the pool. The view was breathtaking. As you can see from the water and the palm tree, there was a stiff breeze, but I still managed to soak up some of the sun.
Chris and I got a picture together as we were walking around the hotel property. The sand was very white and superfine. The water was the most amazing teal color.
This is Chris looking very handsome! Gotta love a man in a tux! The last event of the conference was a black tie dinner dance. I made Chris pose for this picture since we didn't have one of us together. Don't you love the hotel curtains? I am not a real "formal" type person....I don't own anything very formal....this was what I came up with and it worked. It was a nice evening with an amazing dinner. We had a great time on this trip. This was my first trip to the Caribbean and I look forward to checking out some other destinations there sometime.

1 comment:

  1. My my, aren't we the bronze goddess of love! You are looking very sexy :). Your curtains are "retro sheik" or were they just tacky? The hotel looks amazing, so I will go with "retro sheik".

    ReplyDelete