One of the highlights of our trip to The Greenbrier was participating in a falconry lesson. The boys really enjoyed learning about birds of prey and watching the demonstration. They each got a chance to hold the falcon as well. The interesting part of this story was my chance to get reacquainted with some friends of mine from high school, Duane and Darlene Zobrist. Actually, junior high, I guess. I met Duane and Darlene (Salin, back then) the summer I was 14, while visiting my cousins in California. We used to visit a lot since my mom and aunt were very close. Duane and Darlene went on to get married and have since settled in West Virginia bringing the falconry program to The Greenbrier. It was great to catch up after all these years and very fun to participate in the program that they started.


Here is Tanner holding the falcon.


In the center of this picture is the falcon coming in for a landing.

Carter gets his turn.

This is Cameron Zobrist holding the falcon.

Chase Zobrist.


Some kind of hawk and our instructor, Cody.

Parker finally gets his turn. After we finished with the falconry demonstration, we went back to the Greenbrier indoor pool and spent a couple more hours swimming. The kids all got along great! It was such a fun afternoon. Unfortunately, I forgot to get a picture of Darlene and I. Oh well, maybe next time!
I didn't even know falconry lessons existed. How cool!
ReplyDelete