Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Washington, DC - Day 1

We arrived in DC at our hotel around midnight Friday night. The next morning, Chris' parents drove up from their home in Buena Vista, VA to meet us for the weekend. Parker and Carter are having our "7-11" breakfast! We didn't have a car and the hotel only provided a grab and go type breakfast, so Chris walked to 7-11 to pick up some staples. We had a full kitchen in the hotel which was nice.
Tanner was so excited about his new DS, that he slept with it! He wasn't moving very quickly Saturday morning either.
Once we got up and at 'em, our first stop was the Naval Museum at the old Navy yard. The boys had a lot of fun looking at all the guns and cannons and ships.
Carter with Grandma and Grandpa Jorgensen.
All of us in front of this big anchor!
Parker was able to look through a periscope which they had set up so you could see outside the building. It was pretty cool.
Tanner looks pretty small compared to this real torpedo.
Out on the Navy ship that is docked on the river by the museum.
Carter tries his hand at some of the real guns used on the ships.
Here are the boys climbing on the sculpture of Albert Einstein in downtown Washington, DC. Parking spots are hard to come by in the city. This guy had the right idea! Buy a "Smart Car" that is half the size of a regular car. This looked so funny I had to take a picture.
This was my biggest find of the day. These little knit finger puppets are made in Bolivia where my parents are serving their mission. My mom sent us a whole box full of these puppets exactly like the ones here. However, she did NOT pay $4.00 each for them!!!! Amazing. I found these at the Smithsonian Natural History Museum gift shop. I could not believe the markup!

The last two pictures are taken from the Old Post Office tower looking out at the Washington Monument. It was a great view from the tower. We could see all over the city.
Some of the other places we went that day were the National Geographic Museum and the Natural History Museum to see the bugs and rocks. It was very crowded though and we were getting pretty tired. We took a break that evening and took Grandma over to Virginia for a wedding reception. After we had dinner and she was done with the reception, we went back over to DC to see all the memorials at night -- one of our favorite things to do. Unfortunately, there was a huge thunderstorm with the heaviest rain I have seen in a long time. In addition to the rain, most of the parking lots have been closed around the memorials....so we basically drove around. Oh well, it was a great day!


2 comments:

  1. What a fun trip! Hope you guys had a great time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So I am sitting here reading your blog thinking, "how cool, they drove down to DC for the weekend, I should do that soon since I haven't done it yet." And then when I saw the pictures of the kids on the airplane I remembered, "Wait, I don't live in NY anymore, and you are my friend in Las Vegas, and there is no way you can just DRIVE DOWN to DC for the weekend, you flew across the country! This is like a major trip!" Ok, maybe it is funnier to me that I was thinking this, but anyway, looks like you are having fun and I can't wait to see you when you get back. We have been out of town for so long now and we keep missing each other. Lets get together when we are back in town.

    ReplyDelete